City by city, here's a handy list of just some of the expansions and new facilities coming on line in the U.S.
* Anaheim, California Anaheim Convention Center An expansion is targeted for completion in December. Exhibit Space: will jump to 815,000 sq. ft. Meeting Space: will increase to 130,000 sq. ft. Contact: Anaheim/Orange County CVB Phone: (714) 765-8888 Fax: (714) 991-8963 www.anaheimoc.org/
* Austin, Texas Austin Convention Center An expansion is targeted for completion in the spring of 2002. Exhibit Space: will double to 319,600 sq. ft. Meeting Space: will jump to 61,812 sq. ft. from 26,812 sq. ft. Contact: Austin CVB Phone: (512) 474-5171 Fax: (512) 474-4383 www.austinconventioncenter.com
* Atlanta, Georgia Georgia World Congress Center Construction begins in September on a phase IV expansion that will leave the facility with 1.4 million sq. ft. of space, to be completed in September 2002. Exhibit Space: adding 450,000 sq. ft. to existing 950,000 sq. ft. Meeting Rooms: 25 new meeting rooms for a total of 101 rooms and 390,000 sq. ft., including a new 45,000-sq.-ft. ballroom Contact: Atlanta CVB Phone: (404) 521-6619 Fax: (404) 584-6331 www.gwcc.com
* Boston, Massachusetts Boston Convention & Exhibition Center A new facility is slotted to open in 2003. Exhibit Space: will total 600,000 contiguous sq. ft. Meeting Space: 170,000 sq. ft. in 80 meeting rooms Contact: Greater Boston CVB Phone: (617) 867-8221 Fax: (617) 424-7664 www.mccahome.com
* Charleston, South Carolina Charleston Area Convention Center Complex This new center opened this year. Exhibit Space: 135,000 sq. ft. Meeting Space: 17,000 sq. ft. Contact: Charleston Area CVB Phone: (843) 853-8000 Fax: (843) 853-0444 www.charlestoncvb.com
* Columbus, Ohio Greater Columbus Convention Center Expansion of center is expected to be finished January 2001. Exhibit Space: expanding to 450,000 sq. ft. Meeting Space: expanding to 67,630 sq. ft. Contact: Greater Columbus CVB Phone: (614) 221-6623 Fax: (614) 221-5618 www.columbuscvb.org
* Denver, Colorado Colorado Convention Center An expansion is slated for completion late 2003 and Marriott will build a 1,100-room headquarters hotel across the street from the existing center. Exhibit Space: expanding to 584,000 sq. ft. with a 5,000-seat auditorium Meeting Space: doubling to 125,000 sq. ft. Contact: Denver Metro CVB Phone: (303) 892-1112 Fax: (303) 892-1636 www.denver.org
* Dallas, Texas Dallas Convention Center A $125 million renovation and expansion is set for completion in 2002. Exhibit Space: adding 200,000 sq.ft. of contiguous exhibit space, for a total of 1.18 million sq. ft. Meeting Space: 150,000 sq. ft. Contact: Dallas CVB Phone: (214) 746-6622 Fax: (214) 746-6688 www.dallascvb.com
* Grapevine, Texas Opryland Hotel Texas A new Opryland just outside the Dallas/Fort Wort airport is set for completion in 2003. Exhibit and Meeting Space: a total of 380,000 sq. ft. Contact: Opryland Hotel Texas Phone: (615) 871-6272 Fax: (615) 871-5070 www.oprylandhotels.com
* Houston, Texas Astrodomain Complex A new exhibition hall is scheduled for completion by mid-2002. Exhibit Space: 704,456 sq. ft. Meeting Space: 72 meeting rooms totaling 84,400 sq. ft. Contact: Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau Phone: (713) 437-5200 Fax: (713) 227-6336 www.houston-guide.com
* Indianapolis, Indiana Indiana Convention Center & RCA Dome An expansion will be completed in its entirety in early 2001. Exhibit Space: will increase from 301,500 to 403,700 sq. ft. Meeting Space: will increase from 127,595 to 140,000 sq. ft. Contact: Indianapolis Convention & Visitors Association Phone: (317) 639-2592 Fax: (317) 639-5273 www.indy.org
* Kissimmee, Florida Opryland Hotel Florida This new facility, sited outside the mains gates of Walt Disney World, is scheduled for completion in 2002. Exhibit Space: 178,000 sq. ft. Meeting Space: 400,000 sq. ft. Contact: Opryland Hotel Florida Phone: (407) 239-4800 Fax: (407) 239-4822 www.oprylandhotels.com
* Las Vegas, Nevada Las Vegas Convention Center A $150 million expansion is planned, adding more than one million sq. ft. to the 1.9-million-sq.-ft. South Hall, the largest single-level exhibition and meeting facility in the U.S. Target date for completion is December 2001. Exhibit Space: adding 918,000 sq. ft., doubling the space Meeting Space: will grow to 309,950 sq. ft. from 190,000 sq. ft. Contact: Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority Phone: (702) 892-0711 Fax: (702) 892-2824 www.lasvegas24hours.com
* Minneapolis, Minnesota Minneapolis Convention Center The target date for the completed expansion is early 2002. Exhibit Space: will jump to 480,000 sq. ft. from 280,000 sq. ft. Meeting Space: increasing from 93,000 to 147,000 sq. ft. Contact: Greater Minneapolis CVA Phone: (612) 661-4700 Fax: (612) 335-5839 www.minneapolis.org
* Orlando, Florida Orange County Convention Center An expansion is slated for a fall 2003 completion. Exhibit Space: will double to 2.1 million sq. ft. Meeting Space: will increase by 151,000 sq. ft. Contact: Orlando CVB Phone: (800) 345-9845 Fax: (407) 370-5002 www.orlandocvb.com
* Palm Beach County, Florida Palm Beach County Convention Center A new facility is scheduled to open in May 2003. Exhibit Space: 100,000 sq. ft. Meeting Space: 55,000 sq. ft. Contact: Palm Beach County CVB Phone: (561) 471-3995 Fax: (561) 471-3990 www.palmbeachfl.com
* Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Lawrence Convention Center The expansion will triple the facility's size; target completion date is March 2003. Exhibit Space: Expansion will create a space the size of 14 football fields at 335,000 sq. ft. Meeting Space: expanding to 105,000 sq. ft., including a 35,000 sq. ft. ballroom Contact: Greater Pittsburgh CVB Phone: (412) 281-7711 Fax: (412) 644-5512 www.visitpittsburgh.com
* Portland, Oregon Oregon Convention Center A government- and hospitality-industry-financed expansion will be completed in January 2002. Exhibit Space: adding 125,000 sq. ft. to existing 150,000 sq. ft. Meeting Space: will jump from 30,000 sq. ft. to 58,000 sq. ft. Contact: Portland Oregon Visitors Association Phone: (503) 275-9770 Fax: (503) 275-9297 www.pova.com
* San Diego, California San Diego Convention Center The expanded center will open in September 2001. Exhibit Space: expanding to 525,701 sq. ft. of contiguous space Meeting Space: 204,114 sq. ft. upon completion. The 90,000-sq.-ft. Sails Pavilion, with new glass walls and other renovations, was completed this past summer. Contact: San Diego CVB Phone: (619) 232-3101 Fax: (619) 231-9783 www.sdccc.org
* San Francisco, California Moscone Convention Center The voter-approved, $191 million addition known as Moscone West will be completed by 2003, expanding the facility to 900,000 sq. ft. of space. Exhibit space: 300,000 sq. ft. will be added to existing 442,000 sq. ft. Meeting space: adding 38 meeting rooms for a total of 175,000 sq. ft. Contact: San Francisco CVB Phone: (415) 227-2691 Fax: (415) 974-1992 www.moscone.com
* San Juan, Puerto Rico Puerto Rico Trade & Convention Center This new facility is scheduled to open in 2003. Exhibit Space: 150,000 sq. ft. Meeting Space: 80,000 sq. ft. Contact: Puerto Rico CVB Phone: (787) 725-2110 Fax: (202) 331-0824 www.meetpuertorico.com
* Washington, D.C. Washington Convention Center Construction continues on the new 2.3-million-sq.-ft. downtown center. Completion is slated for March 2003. Exhibit Space: 725,000 sq. ft. Meeting Space: 210,000 sq. ft. Contact: Washington D.C. CVA Phone: (202) 789-7023 Fax: (202) 789-7037 www.dcconvention.com
The Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans is moving ahead on its Phase IV expansion with the $45 million purchase of 37 acres of land next to the center's Phase III expansion, which opened last year.
If the financing can be worked out, this is good news for meeting planners who need a high-tech venue - the latest expansion could include a separate facility designed and equipped with big pipes for teleconferencing and webcasting. That's the recommendation of John Kaatz, project leader on a feasibility study done by Minneapolis-based Convention, Sports & Leisure International.
The proposed project comes in two parts: Kaatz recommends adding at least 500,000 square feet of exhibit space to the Morial Center's existing 1.1 million square feet; a second development would be a stand-alone facility with 200,000 square feet of exhibit space and 100,000 square feet of meeting and ballroom space. It's premature to say if the project is a go, but support for the expansion in New Orleans is strong, according to Kaatz, who is hoping for a completion date within five years.