As a special treat, we interviewed our own editor on the occasion of her 20th anniversary with the magazine.
1. If you could be anywhere in the world, where would you be?
Living in the South of France, of course!
2. What’s playing on your iPod?
Coldplay, Train, As Tall as Lions, Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon, the Decemberists
3. If you could be a superhero, what superpower would you want? Working moms already are superheroes!
4. It’s time for a second career, what do you choose?
I already have one: I help my husband run our retail business, noa jewelry, fine handcrafts & gifts, featuring items made by 200 New England artists (hint: online shopping!). I love everything handmade and am an avid supporter of the Local First movement and reviving our Main Streets.
5. What’s the best book you read in the past year?
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, a woman who died in the 1950s and whose cells have changed the face of medicine
6. Who inspires you?
My father, who grew up on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, and through his hard work helped to pull his entire family out of poverty
7. What do you do to stay healthy?
I do interval running with a friend almost every morning at 6:15. It’s great to have a partner: When she texts me, I know I have to get out there and JUST DO IT!
8. How do you strike a balance between work and your personal life?
My husband, Ian, and I have always supported each other’s careers and made choices that keep us near our children (Calli, 15, and Kieran, 8) as they grow up. When it’s shared, there’s a natural balance.
9. What is your greatest strength?
I never give up. My friends call me “The Determinator”!
10. What is your favorite quote?
Ghandi: “Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.”