THIS AIN'T NO DRESS REHEARSAL

To the Editor,
I have received many e-mails and phone calls regarding your January issue. Many colleagues and customers have told me that the comments you presented in “View from the Top” were indeed right on the mark.

As the possibility of military conflict grows each day, many of our customers are indeed nervous and cautious. Short-term business-booking levels in the hotel arena have slowed down a bit. “We're waiting to see what happens in the next few weeks” is the typical answer we get today.

They say that in life, 10 percent of what happens you cannot control. But the other 90 percent is how you react to what you can't control. We are rolling with each situation and taking a carpe diem approach. Besides, as the sign says: “Hey pal: This ain't no dress rehearsal.'
Kevin McNally, CMP co-president Society of Corporate Meeting Professionals Chicago

A TOAST TO THE NEW CRYSTALS

To the Editor,
I read the article “2002 Crystal Awards Have New Sparkle” (December CMI) with great interest. First, I want to thank you for recognizing that the Crystals have taken on new importance to SITE and that every effort is being made to make them the awards for the incentive industry (once again). We are hopeful that the incentive industry will recognize them as their “Oscars” and support them.I believe you will see them improve even more in 2003.

I also wanted to point out that my company, Sunbelt Motivation & Travel, won a Crystal this year for the first time ('Best Catered Event During an Incentive Program,” for our client Citrix) and was not mentioned in the article.
Bill Boyd, CMP, CMM, president Sunbelt Motivation & Travel Dallas

RECONNECTING WITH OLD FRIENDS

To the Editor,
I want to personally thank Margery Stein for the great article “Built to Last” (December CMI), and her wonderful, honest treatment of my client Glen Frederick and me. I've had numerous calls from old friends in the business, including one from a former colleague at E.F. MacDonald in the days of yore. All of them told me how much they enjoyed reading the article.
Pete Docherty, president Docherty Incentives Minneapolis, Minn.