* "What the heck is insurance anyway?" That was just one of the 15 workshops offered by Chicago-based CNA Insurance when hundreds of kids descend on its offices for a day in late April. In 1996, 700 children aged 9 to 18 arrived for the CNA Kids Day at Work to see what their parents do on the job--and at least that many were expected again this year.
* The 1997 Field Management Seminar (FMS), offered by the Life InsuranceResearch Association (LIMRA), is scheduled for 100 locations in the U.S. and Canada on June 18. Sponsored by the Agency Management Training Council (AMTC), the seminar is called "The Power Launch: Selecting and Coaching New Peak Performers." For information on locations, call LIMRA at (800) 285-7728.
* Michael Halloran, field director for the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company in Jacksonville, FL has received the R. Gordon Setchell Award, the most prestigious service award given by the AMTC. He received the award at the annual meeting of the General Agents and Managers Association in Orlando in March. Halloran was recognized for work on AMTC programs such as the Agency Management Training Course and Field Management Seminar in western New York and Jacksonville.
* More than 50 speakers are scheduled for the 1997 Million Dollar Round Table (MDRT) Annual Meeting June 8 to 12 in Atlanta. Sessions will be held on sales, management, and life balance topics. Call MDRT at (847) 692-6378 or check out the meeting information at its Web site: http://www.agents-online.com/MDRT/
* The life insurance industry's Life Communicators Association (LCA) is on the LIMRA International agenda this fall. LCA's past president, Charles "Larry" Larance, has been invited to lead a workshop on the importance of communication planning to give LIMRA's marketing officers a better sense of the critical responsibilities of the communications department--from designing product literature and recruiting materials to planning sales incentives and public relations events.