PUBLIC Chicago, the first of Ian Schrager’s new PUBLIC brand, opened in October, a remodel of The Ambassador East, built in 1926, and its famed Pump Room, which opened in 1938 and hosted everyone from Frank Sinatra, Queen Elizabeth II, and Marilyn Monroe to David Bowie.

Meeting rooms on floors 2, 16, and 17 total 8,600 square feet. A full-service business center provides audiovisual equipment, videoconferencing, and Wi-Fi access.

The 285 spacious guest rooms, some with outdoor terraces and gardens, have 42-inch flat-screen TVs with movies on demand, Wi-Fi, and two iPod docking stations.