We’ve got a primer on association management from Financial & Insurance Conference Planners Executive Director Steve Bova, to help members understand more clearly the role of an organization’s board of directors. Did you know that there are seven things that only an association’s board can do? They are:
1. Define and ensure alignment of the organization’s fundamental purpose. That is, answer the questions: Who are we? What do we do? For whom do we do it? Why do we do it?
2. Articulate, align, nurture, and preserve the organization’s core values.
3. Develop and maintain an effective governance framework.
4. Chart the organization’s future course. That is, answer the questions: Where are we going? How will we get there? When will we get there? How will we know when we get there?
5. Ensure the organization stays on track through the following: determining, prioritizing, and monitoring programs and initiatives; providing proper financial oversight; and monitoring and evaluating the performance of staff resources, both paid and .
6. Communicate, clarify, defend, and provide context for the organization’s vision, purpose, core values, strategies, and policies with members, partners, and other stakeholders.
7. Identify, recruit, select, and set the standards for the organization’s future leaders.