In June, the meetings industry's first Web radio broadcast debuted. Doug Fox, producer of the "EventWeb Radio" program and the companion EventWeb Newsletter, prerecords the half-hour program, which includes news, reviews, and commentary on how to improve your online marketing campaigns for events, meetings, incentives, and trade shows. He has been writing, speaking, and consulting for the meetings industry about technology and interactive marketing for the past six years.
The program that was available the week of July 9, for example, was "Expanding Educational Horizons in the Online World." Strategies and tips included: 1. Prior to your conference, place a preliminary outline on your Web site along with feedback forms to gather information from attendees; and 2. Compile the responses and, based on this feedback, create a complete outline and handout for each educational session. Then, place this course information on your Web site.
You can listen to the weekly "Event-Web Radio" program on AudioNet at www.audionet.com/business/eventweb ; or you can link to the audio program from the EventWeb homepage www.eventweb.com .To listen to the audio program, you need a sound card and the RealAudio player www.realaudio.com
MPI Meeting Celebrates 25 Years A heavy dose of nostalgia and a sprinkle of inspiration made for a successful 25th anniversary celebration as a record 2,421 members of Meeting Professionals International (MPI) gathered in Baltimore in early August.
With countless awards and ceremonies, hilarious 25-year-old photos of MPI's leaders, and many of the organization's founding members in attendance, the annual World Education Congress was a true celebration. For added inspiration, former congressman and vice presidential candidate Jack Kemp spoke of the excitement of the new millennium, and Mount Everest climbers Alan Hobson and Jamie Clarke captivated the audience with the story of their unbelievable journey.
Among the meeting's other highlights:
* Anna Lee Chabot, CMP, took the helm as MPI president, replacing Kitty Ratcliffe. Chabot is head of the meetings and assemblies section for the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
* MPI announced that its Certificate in Meetings Management (CMM) program will be offered worldwide. The certification, which is targeted to experienced meeting planners, was originally designed for the European market.
* MPI and the Disney Institute announced that they will create an educational program to be offered exclusively to MPI members.
* MPI's new WEC WOW (World Education Congress WithOut Walls) Web site is located at www.mpiweb.org..
* And the winners are . . . Corbin Ball, CMP, Marion D. Kershner Memorial Chapter Leader Award (formerly called the Chapter Leader of the Year Award); Margaret A. Moynihan, CMP, 1997 Meeting Professional Award, Planner Category; Carol Krugman, CMP and Lori Rogel, CMP, 1997 Meeting Professional Award, Tomorrow's Leader category; and J. William Boyd, CMP, 1997 Meeting Professional Award, Supplier Category.