* The Westin Portland was scheduled to open August 17 in downtown Portland. The 205-room property has 2,060 square feet of meeting space, a health and fitness suite, and high-speed Internet access in all guest rooms.
* The Paramount Hotel opens this month with 154 guest rooms, 1,500 square feet of meeting space, and a fitness center.
* The $28 million Marriott City Center was scheduled to open August 10 in downtown Portland. The 260-room hotel has 3,900 square feet of meeting space, a business center, and a health club.
* The 455-room Hilton Portland is planning to break ground on a 321-room tower, called the Hilton Executive Tower, in May 2000. Completion is expected two years later. The new tower will have some meeting space, although the amount has not been determined. The tower rooms will have upgraded amenities.
* The Salishan Lodge, in Gleneden Beach, Ore., on the Pacific Coast two hours southwest of Portland, is now being managed by Westin and has been renamed the Westin Salishan Lodge & Golf Resort. The property has 205 guest rooms, 14 meeting rooms accommodating groups of up to 500, a business center, and an 18-hole Scottish links-style course.
Seattle Spaces * The Bell Street Pier Terminal, Seattle's first cruise ship terminal, is under construction and scheduled to open in May 2000. Norwegian Cruise Lines and Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines will offer cruises to Alaska's Inside Passage from the new terminal.
* Argosy Cruises, which operates a fleet of 14 vessels, plans to launch a 180-foot dinner cruise ship in Seattle next May, with seating for up to 600 in four dining areas.
* Starwood Lodging Corp.'s W Seattle Hotel, among the first of the company's new W brand, was scheduled to open September 1. The 27-story, 426-room downtown property will have 10,000 square feet of meeting and banquet space, including a 4,500-square-foot ballroom. The hotel will house an upscale restaurant from Drew Niepor-ent's Myriad Restaurant Group, which runs such renowned eateries as Montrachet and Nobu in New York City and Rubicon in San Francisco.
* A summer 2001 opening is planned for the Westin Sea-Tac Airport, a 16-story, 384-room in-terminal hotel. The new property will have a swimming pool, fitness club, busi- ness center, as well as at least 10,000 square feet of meeting space.
Northwest Resources * Seattle-King County CVB www.seeseattle.org
* East King County CVB www.eastkingcounty.org
* Portland Oregon Visitors Association www.pova.com
Canadian Resources * Tourism British Columbia www.tbc.gov.bc.ca
* Tourism Vancouver www.tourism-vancouver.org
* Tourism Victoria www.tourismvictoria.com
* Banff/Lake Louis CVB (403) 762-0270
* Calgary CVB www.visitor.calgary.ab.ca
* Tourism Toronto www.tourism-toronto.com
* Greater Montreal C&TB www.cum.qc.ca/octgm
* Greater Halifax CVB www.meethalifax.com
Aussie Resources * Sydney Convention & Exhibition Centre www.scec.com.au
* Melbourne Exhibition & Convention Centre www.mecc.aust.com
* Adelaide Convention & Exhibition Centre www.adelaidecc.co.au
* Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre www.brisconex.com.au
* Cairns Convention Centre (e-mail) email@example.com