Hundreds gathered to celebrate the achievements of six individuals who have made an indelible mark on the meeting and incentives industry at the Convention Industry Council's Hall of Leaders Gala, August 20 in Boston. Held only every other year, the CIC HOL honors a select number of outstanding leaders and innovators.
Among the six honored was Virginia M. Lofft, former vice president/publishing director, The Meetings Group, Prism Business Media, publisher of. Lofft was recognized not only for her publishing achievements (she founded Beyond Borders, our supplement on planning international meetings), but for her leadership in educating the international travel market about the importance of meetings and incentives and as a mentor for a great many women in the industry.
The other inductees were:
- William “Bill” Boyd, CITE, CMP, CMM, president/CEO, Sunbelt Motivation and Travel Inc., Los Angeles
- Robert “Bob” Dallmeyer, president, R.D. International, Irving, Texas
- J. Frank Poe, director, City of Dallas Convention & Event Services Department
- Mickey Schaefer, CAE, president, Mickey Schaefer & Associates, LLC, Tucson, Ariz.
- Carl C. Thompson, executive director, Society of Government Meeting Professionals, Alexandria, Va.
The Hall of Leaders Recognition Pavilion, which includes an interactive display honoring the 92 pioneers who have been inducted since the program's inception in 1985, resides in the Washington (D.C.) Convention Center.