Curacao With its ornate and elegant pastel-colored buildings, Curacao's harbor- front in Willemstad is one of the Caribbean's indelible images. But Curacao is much more than architectural beauty and balmy days. Planners, whether producing a tropical meeting or a lavish incentive, will find Curacao a multifaceted island with much to offer.
Island Info * VITAL STATISTICS Dutch Caribbean island 35 miles from the Venezuelan coast, far outside the hurricane belt * Hato International Airport served by American Airlines, Air ALM, KLM (from Europe) * sunny, dry, average year-round temperature of 82 degrees * official language, Dutch; also speak English, Spanish, Papiamentu * official currencyNetherlands Antilles florin or "guilder"
* RECENT DEVELOPMENTS Marriott International, Inc. will manage the 248-room Curacao Rif Beach Resort & Emerald Casino (by Marriott), formerly the Sonesta * extensive renovations underway at the 200-room Curacao Casino Resort, which will become a Sheraton * 18-hole golf course at Blue Bay under construction
* MEETING VENUES more than 500 hotel rooms * conference rooms to 3,000 square feet * serves groups from 40 to 400 * World Trade Center Curacao offers 24,000 square feet of exhibition space; seats up to 850 banquet-style; auditorium; 10 meeting rooms * Tres Tan Conference Center; groups up to 125 people; latest audiovisual equipment
* RECREATION/SIGHTS TO SEE Willemstad--UNESCO World Heritage Site * museums, forts, galleries, cafes * 38 beaches, world-class diving, shopping, nightlife, casinos * shark encounters, Seaquarium, hiking, horseback riding, Christoffel National Park * special group tours
* SPECIAL EVENTS & THEME PARTIES Carnival and Black Tie & Barefoot on the Beach *Curacao Convention Bureau & DMCs assist planning
* WEB SITE HIGHLIGHTS updates and info on special events and packages * island guide covers meetings, contacts, shopping, more * Curacao history, culture * scuba dive guide * island photos