Los Cabos, located at the southernmost tip of the 1,000-mile long Baja California Peninsula, comprises two small and very different towns—lively Cabo San Lucas and laid-back San Jose del Cabo—that are joined by a 20-mile corridor of seaside resorts. The area is in the midst of many new developments and upgrades.
Named the second-safest state in Mexico, the State of Baja California is nevertheless working with the Los Cabos Convention & Visitors Bureau on security measures throughout the destination. Recent initiatives include installation of new security technology at all points of entry to Baja California Sur; street patrols in Cabo San Lucas with trained canine units; destinationwide internal communications program for immediate transmission of information between hotels, travel professionals, and consumers; and a safety Q&A newsletter distributed to wholesale, airline, and travel industry partners.
Meanwhile, here’s what’s up and coming in Cabo:
- San Jose del Cabo International Airport: New landing strips will accommodate more arrivals and departures; Terminal 3 is being remodeled and a new Terminal 4 will be added; and a new structure will offer more shops and services. The project will be complete by early 2010.
- Cabo Riviera: Located on the East Cape, this luxury residential and commercial development will feature a marina and an 18-hole Pete Dye golf course, scheduled for completion by 2010.
- Capella Pedregal: Set to open this summer, the 66-room upscale resort and residences are located along the Cabo San Lucas Marina.
- Chileno Bay Golf & Ocean Club: This private golf, beach, and marina will offer a balanced mix of private and public uses, featuring two 18-hole Tom Fazio golf courses and a village inspired by Portofino, Italy.
- Montage Los Cabos: Set for completion in 2010, this luxury hotel will open on the site of the former Twin Dolphins Hotel.
- Quivira Los Cabos: This 1,850-acre residential resort community is a cooperative effort by The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Co. and Ernesto Coppel. The project will feature The Residences by Ritz-Carlton and the 200-room Ritz-Carlton, Los Cabos, Quivira, which is scheduled for completion by early 2011. Two 18-hole Jack Nicklaus–designed golf courses are scheduled to open by early 2010.
- The San Jose del Cabo Organic Market takes place every Saturday across the street from the Tropicana Jockey Club. Organic produce, original arts and craft,s and ongoing workshops on sustainable living are offered weekly.
- The Los Cabos CVB has launched an improved Web site, which offers meeting planning information, an event calendar, and more.