When IMEX America launched in October 2011 in Las Vegas, show organizers worked with sustainability consultants MeetGreen to set up a green meeting program, incorporating best practices and tracking results as a baseline for future improvements.
Here are some of IMEX America’s success stats from its 2011 efforts.
• Recycled 66.4 tons of materials from the meeting venues: The Venetian/Palazzo and the Sands Expo and Convention Center
• Enforced a three-minute-only idling policy on hosted-buyer transfer buses
• Saved 16,800 gallons of water and 15 million BTUs by using 95 percent post-consumer recycled paper where possible
• Contributed a total of $6,000 to two Las Vegas charities as a result of badge recycling. When attendees recycled their badges, they had an opportunity to vote for the charitable program they wanted to support.
• Eliminated bottled water at show-sponsored events, the hosted- buyer lounge, and press center, saving 28,000 liters (7,400 gallons) of water.
• Donated 156 pounds of food to those in need in the Las Vegas community
• Helped get a month’s worth of soap or toiletries to more than 800 needy children through a partnership with Clean the World, which recycles leftover soaps and shampoos
You Might Also Be Interested In
Our Green/CSR One-Stop, online info and resources for going green