What is in this article?:
- Time to Deep-Six the Panels?
- Panel Pet Peeves!
Results of a recent survey find that, while they're ubiquitous, the panel discussion model just isn't working for many attendees. Here's a list of pet panel peeves, and suggestions on how to improve them.
Panel Pet Peeves!
1. Ineffective moderators
2. Dominating panelists
3. Ill-prepared moderators and panelists
4. Out-of-control panelists
5. Self-promoting panelists and moderators
6. Panelists who don’t engage the audience
7. Panelists who wander off topic
8. Panelists who give mini-speeches instead of engaging with each other
9. Poor time management on the moderator’s part
10. Too many panelists
4 bonus peeves:
• Introductions that seem to go on forever
• Not enough meaty content
• Panelists who all make the same points.
• Too many slides