What is in this article?:
- IMEX 2013: A Model of Innovation, Partnership
- Among the many other highlights from IMEX America:
If you took all the acronyms representing the associations that partnered with IMEX America—held at the Sands Expo in Las Vegas October 15 to 17—and stacked them in a pile, you would have a complete alphabet:
• CIC (Convention Industry Council)—held its prestigious Hall of Leaders event Sunday, October 13, inducting Jorge Castex, honorary president, COCAL, and senior advisor, MCI Argentina; Eduardo Chaillo, CMP, CMM, former executive director of meetings, Mexico Tourism Board; Peggy Daidakis, executive director, Baltimore Convention Center; Liz Erikson, executive director, meetings and incentives, Fairmont Raffles Swissôtel; and Stephen Powell, senior vice president, worldwide sales, Intercontinental Hotels Group.
Joanne Joham, regional director, North America, International
Congress and Convention Association; Arnaldo Nardone, president,
ICCA; and Eduardo Chaillo, Hall of Leaders inductee
• Site—opened the show Monday evening with its sold-out Site Nite North America event at the Palms Casino Resort.
• U.S. Travel (US Travel Association)—hosted a new Policymakers Forum featuring Washington, D.C., Mayor Vincent Gray (who attended virtually), Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman, and Santa Fe Mayor David Coss.
• CMI (MeetingsNet/corporate&incentives)—celebrated at an exclusive private party on Monday evening with the CMI 25, the industry’s list of the biggest incentive and meeting companies serving the corporate market.
• MPI (Meeting Professionals International)—put on a packed Smart Monday education event the day before the show opened, with more than 1,200 attendees.
Lori Jenks, VP operations at Emerald Expositions;
Janet Sperstad, program director, Meeting and Event
Management Degree, Madison Area Technical College;
and Amy Spatrisano, principal, MeetGreen, at the MPI
Rendezvous fundraiser on Wednesday night.
• IRF (Incentive Research Foundation)—announced the location of its 2014 Incentive Invitational (Secrets Puerto Los Cabos, May 28–June 1, 2014) at the AMR Resorts event Tuesday evening.
• PCMA (Professional Convention Management Association), ASAE: The Center for Association Leadership and ICCA (International Congress and Convention Association) came together to create the “Association Focus” track on Monday for more than 200 association professionals.
The IMEX organizers are expert at bringing an industry together. And that’s just the industry association events. On the show floor, the number of exhibitors grew from 2,413 in 2012 to 2,694 in 2013. Hosted-buyer numbers grew as well, from 2,400 last year to 2,700 this year—a number that doesn’t include the additional 1,700 non-hosted attendees.