What is in this article?:
- Top 10 Meeting Industry News Stories of 2012
- 2. Costa Concordia Disaster
- 3. GSA Scandal
- 4. Industry Cheers Election Results
- 5. Hotel Fees Skyrocket
- 6. Hotel Seller's Market
- 7. Mobile Meeting Apps Everywhere
- 8. Hosted-Buyer Trade Shows Dominate
- 9. A New Definition for Strategic Meetings Management
- 10. Green Meeting Standards Released
7. Mobile Meeting Apps Everywhere
A February 2012 Mashable article estimated that America’s new “app economy” has created about 466,000 jobs in the United States since 2007. (That number was zero just five years ago, before the iPhone was introduced.) According to Thorben Grosser, author of the events and marketing management blog, we’re just at the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the growth of apps that will be developed for events; he expects 10 percent to 15 percent of U.S. events with more than 100 attendees in the U.S. to have an app. You do the math.
For more, check out our upcoming free webinar on November 14 at 2 p.m. EST, “Events Going Mobile: How to Keep Up With technology That is Changing the Event Industry,” featuring Kevin Long, director of marketing at CrowdCompass, and Courtney Young, digital and specialist for the National Council for Community Behavioral Healthcare.